Did you know? Each Public Works Sanitation crew member physically handled more than 1 million pounds of refuse in 2019.
Toter trash carts improve the way Harrisonburg collects trash! The Toter system utilizes a Toter trash cart that attaches to a tipper plate, attached to each of the City's sanitation trucks, to lift the 96- or 48-gallon Toter trash carts provided by Public Works for use at each of the serviced addresses. The Toter program is cleaner, quicker, and has less of a physical impact on our sanitation workers. We know you have questions, visit the Toter-FAQ page to see answers to some of the most common Toter questions. Do not see your question in the FAQ's? Email your question to PublicWorks@HarrisonburgVa.gov or call the office at 540-434-5928.
Toter Flyer - English [388KB]
¡Los Toter están aquí! - Toter Flyer - Español [742KB]
Toter Flyer - Arabic [7MB]
The Toter trash cart program offers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Ease of use for citizens
- Improved curb appeal on "trash day" by making sure everyone has a large, uniform trash cart instead of placing bags on the ground
- Creating progress toward the City's Environmental Action Plan goals
- Increased employee safety by reducing the amount of lifting staff has to endure
- Cleaner streets and stormwater systems (thanks to enclosed, lidded trash carts keeping debris out of the City road and stormwater ways)
- Improved collection operations and efficiency
Clean Your Trash Toter
Sometimes the trash toters get stinky and unsanitary. Check out our videos in both English and Spanish with some helpful tips on how to keep your toters and the City looking clean.