Public Utilities

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%


Sanitary sewer customers are responsible for home or business plumbing up to the connection to the public sewer pipes.

Can I Access or Move My Meter Box?

Improper access to meter boxes will cause damage. You will be held responsible for damage caused by you or your plumber.

Contact the Billing Department 540-434-6783  for assistance to access your meter box.

Contact the Operations Center 540-434-9959  to have a meter box moved.

Relocation of meter boxes, if performed to accommodate building or landscaping, will be billed to the customer.

Are There Types of Water Discharges that the City Does Not Permit?

Some discharges are illegal while others are approved through special permits.

In general, contact the Water Operations Center at 540-434-9959 for information about restrictions or necessary permits.

The City ordinance prohibits connecting drain spouts or drain pumps to your sanitary sewer building lines. Unpolluted water should be routed to storm drainage systems. Misdemeanor charges and monthly surcharges are enforcement actions which are available to the Department of Public Utilities.

Park View Water Tank

The Department of Public Utilities is collaborating with Eastern Mennonite University (EMU) and the Park View neighborhood to study site locations and the feasibility of installing a new water tank in the Park View area.