SolarAPP+ Expedited Solar Permitting Process
- Register with SolarAPP+ (See Getting Started).
- Contact Harrisonburg Electric Commission at 540-217-2234 or firstname.lastname@example.org for approval letter.
- Log into SolarAPP+ and complete SolarAPP+ requirements.
- Obtain approval code and download approval documents.
- Log into LAMA Permitting Portal. Select Appy > Trade Permits > SolarAPP.
- Complete the permit requirements, upload HEC and SolarAPP documents, and pay fees.
- Permit will be issued same day.
Getting Started with SolarAPP+
- Register for SolarAPP+ at https://solarapp.nrel.gov/
- Complete this training: https://cleanenergytraining.org/products/how-to-use-solarapp-for-rooftop-solar-projects
- Consider additional training developed by IREC specifically for SolarAPP+ https://help.solar-app.org/article/15-permit-application
- Register for the LAMA permitting portal.
There is no cost to register or complete the training.
SolarAPP+ was designed by a coalition of organizations led by NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). The app uses standardized compliance checks to approve permits instantly and stays up to date with building, electrical, and fire codes. It produces an inspection checklist replicating the application details for inspectors to use. Solar project contractors use SolarAPP+ to process the permit request and instantly obtain an approval code and technical documents. Contractors then log into Harrisonburg’s LAMA permitting portal to pay City permitting fees and obtain the permit documents. These permit approvals will not require a separate building codes review and will be issued as soon as the online process is completed. Please note that SolarAPP+ charges a $25 fee to support updates to SolarAPP+ and is not paid to the City of Harrisonburg.
The Solar Energy System permit on the LAMA permitting portal is still available for all solar projects. Installers have the option of using the automated approval system through SolarAPP+ or the City’s Solar Energy System permit on LAMA. Permitting and Inspections staff are available to support our customers and we look forward to assisting you with your next solar installation project.