Please use the provided links as resources for fire safety, personal safety, preparedness and prevention techniques.
- Emergency Supply Kits
- Fire Education Programs - provided by the Harrisonburg Fire Department
- Crime Prevention Topics - provided by the Harrisonburg Police Department
- Preventing identity theft
- Vacation safety
- Preventing vehicle theft
- Halloween safety
Seasonal Safety Tips:
- Holiday Fire Safety - tips for preventing fires during the holidays
- Winter Safety Tips - for you and your home
- Outdoor and Fireworks Safety Tips - for cooking out and city code information for fireworks in Harrisonburg.
- Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips - Cooking fires nearly double on Thanksgiving Day, tips to keep your home and family fire safe on Thanksgiving.
Sign up for the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Alert.
If you live or work in the City of Harrisonburg or Rockingham County you can now register for this free notification system which sends alerts about emergency-related events or life-threatening weather events such as a tornado or flash flood warning.
These alerts can be received in the form of a text message or a telephone call.
Do you have an emergency supply kit?
Every family needs supplies on hand. Start your emergency kit with these essential items:
- Three days of food that won’t spoil, such as canned goods and packaged foods.
- Three days of water, one gallon per person per day.
- A hand crank and/or battery-powered radio and extra batteries.
- A written family emergency plan.
Once you gather these basics, put them in waterproof containers that you can carry or roll in case you need to leave your home quickly.
Other items are useful in an emergency supply kit, to learn more, visit www.ReadyVirginia.gov.