How it works:
Residents are responsible for taking their own, presorted, recyclable materials to the center or mobile unit. Once at the drop-off location, the items will need to be placed into the appropriately labeled container. An attendant will be on-site to provide assistance.
Materials accepted in marked bins: Please presort your recyclables.
- #1 Plastic (transparent only)
- #2 Plastic
- Plastic bags
- Household Batteries (AA, AAA, 9V, etc.)
- Aluminum Beverage Cans
- Tin Cans
- Office Paper (Shredded or White)
- Newspaper, magazines, junk mail
- Cardboard (this includes manilla envelopes)
- Bulk (i.e. furniture, mattress, box spring, tv, stereo, computer) - *Convenience Center only
- Yard Debris (tree/brush/shrub trimmings and bagged leaves only) - *Convenience Center only
- Bagged Grass Clippings - *Convenience Center only
- Scrap Metal (i.e. appliance with freon removed, washer, dryer, bed frame, lawnmower, barbecue grill) - *Convenience Center only
Materials NOT accepted:
- #3-#7 Plastic
- Opaque #1 plastic (non-transparent)
- Mixed material items (i.e. manilla envelope with interior plastic cushion)
- Prescription medication
- Household Hazardous Waste (Biannual collection)
- Automotive Parts
- Construction Debris (accepted at Rockingham County Landfill)
- Compost (Harrisonburg Farmers Market)
Recycling Convenience Center
2055 Beery Road, Harrisonburg, VA
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday*
*Closed for city holidays.
Recycling Mobile Unit
Hours of operation: 8:00am-12:00pm *Weather permitting and closed for city holidays.
Monday - Lucy Simms Center - 620 Simms Ave.
Tuesday - Westover Park - 305 S Dogwood Dr.
Wednesday - Park View Mennonite Church - 1600 College Ave
Thursday - W. Gay St. - Parking lot for walking track adjacent to Waterman Elementary
Saturday - Farmer's Market - 345 S Main St.
*Please Note: In the event the Mobile Recycling unit reaches capacity, the attendant is required to close early.
Thank you for presorting your recyclables!