A plumbing permit is required for any new construction, alterations, additions, swimming pools, and/or other types of plumbing work performed in the City of Harrisonburg.
How to Apply for a Permit
Online: Submit applications, track and pay for permits online via the LAMA Permit Portal. If you are a contractor and need a registration code, call the Department of Community Development at 540-432-7700 or email email@example.com.
Via email: Permit applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In person: Visit us at Community Development, 409 S Main St, 2nd Floor, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
[455KB] Plumbing Permit Application
If a backflow device will be installed as part of a Plumbing permit, a Backflow permit will also be required.
Questions regarding plumbing permits can be answered by the Community Development Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
In order to obtain a plumbing permit, the following information is required at the time of application:
- Depending on the complexity of the project, drawings may be required. These plans would include, but not be limited to, floor plans showing the location of all plumbing fixtures and appliances, a drainage riser diagram, a water supply riser diagram, and other plans as deemed necessary by the Building Inspection Office.
- The owner's complete name, present mailing address, and telephone number.
- The plumber's or plumbing contractor's complete name or business name, present mailing address, telephone number, certification number, copy of state class "A", "B", or "C" contractor's registration number, and city business license number.
- The appropriate fee, based on the type of structure or the total number of fixtures and appliances. Single family dwellings, townhouses and apartment units have a flat inclusive fee. Checks for fees should be made to the City of Harrisonburg.
In most cases, permit applications submitted before 3:00pm may be issued the same day. The permit is not valid until the permit fee has been paid, and the permit placard posted on the job site.
Posting of Permit
The plumbing permit shall be displayed on the outside of the building or premises where it is plainly visible from the street, and shall not be removed until building or renovation is complete and ready for occupancy.
Required Inspection Information
The following is a list of required inspections to be scheduled by the plumbing contractor, owner, or owner's authorized agent:
- Under slab- water and building drains.
- Rough-in- water distribution and drainage waste, and vent systems.
- Service lines- water and sewer.
- Final- all fixtures and appliances set and operational.
- Other inspections as deemed necessary.
- A final plumbing inspection is required prior to a final building inspection being scheduled.
- Permit becomes void if work has not commenced within, or is suspended for, a period of six months from the date of issuance.
- If desiring to do so, the Owner may do the work as long as the proper permit has been obtained, all required inspections are called for, and an affidavit is signed by the owner.