City of Harrisonburg ARPA Housing Development Fund
Housing was identified as a local priority prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, economic disruptions exacerbated the shortage of affordable housing and disproportionately impacted populations already experiencing housing insecurity. As part of a robust public engagement process, increasing safe, accessible, and sustainable housing was identified as a top public priority.
The Harrisonburg City Council allocated $2,000,000 of the City’s ARPA funding for a Housing Development Fund in order to expand the supply of accessible and affordable housing. The Fund will support developers and other organizations seeking to generate new affordable housing, preserve existing affordable housing, and create homeownership opportunities.
|Activity||Date / Period|
|Notice of Funding Opportunity Issued||August 8, 2023|
|Pre-Application Q&A Session||August 17, 2023|
|Application Opens||August 22, 2023|
|Deadline for Questions / Post Questions||September 1, 2023|
|Applications Due||September 30, 2023 *Extended to October 6, 2023|
|Award Announcements||Early December 2023|
An information session and Q&A event about the Housing Development Fund NOFO was held on August 17.
Information Session Recording [Youtube Link]
The application cannot be saved and returned to at a later time if it is closed prior to completion, it will submit. You can view the application in full as a PDF at the Application Preview link below. To apply, you must complete and submit the full application online at the Application Link below.
- View the Affordable Housing Investment Fund Notice of Funding Opportunity [431KB]
- Application Preview PDF [231KB] - updated 9/16/23
- Application Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DYVL7MB
- Sample Project Schedule [89KB]
- Unit Detail Chart [118KB]
- Income and Rent Limits [465KB] - updated 9/16/23
- Application Checklist [119KB] - added 9/16/23
- Sample Budget Form Template with Sources and Uses [133KB] – added 9/19/23
- Guidance on Additional Eligible Uses Justification [550KB] – added 9/19/23
- Housing Fund Frequently Asked Questions (Part 1) [228KB] – added 9/19/23
Key Eligibility Criteria
The project must generate or preserve at least two (2) housing units within the City of Harrisonburg.
Funded units must provide long-term affordability to income-qualified populations.
Demonstration of site control is required at the time of application.
Applicant must submit a complete application including supporting documents.
Housing Fund Contact
Liz Webb, Housing Coordinator