How Should I Fill and Discharge Water from My Pool?

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Options for filling your swimming pool:

  1. Use water from your existing water meter. Water and sewer rates apply.
  2. Install a separate water meter for outside use.  Contact Public Utilities at 540-434-9959 for an estimate. Once installed, you have the flexibility of using water for any outside use at your convenience. No sewer charges apply.
  3. Have the Fire Department fill your pool.

Print the agreement form: "Water Use Agreement for Swimming PoolsPDF [32KB]

Complete first section and submit form to the Deputy Fire Chief for approval. The Fire Department will schedule this service. They will obtain water from a nearby fire hydrant. You will be subject to applicable employee labor rates, and vehicle and equipment charges.

Discharging Water from your pool

Due to the chlorine and chemicals used, pool water is contaminated and must be disposed through the city’s sanitary sewer system for treatment and discharge. Sewage charges are applied to all pool applications unless you qualify for an exemption. Qualifications for exemptions are determined by the Public Utilities Director.

**Water customers should contact Public Utilities at 540-434-9959 for advice.